This week's theme seems to be retro-geek in a lot of ways. Or at least for me. But I will tell you this much, my fellow geeks: I love you so much I'm letting the galaxy burn under Reaper onslaught right now, just for you.
- Musical - Spamalot - Washington, DC - Tuesday through Sunday
- Watery tarts, singing knights and a distinct need for spankings. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. For all those times you wanted to sing the Circus at the top of your lungs and no one else knew what you were on about - your time has come.
- The Circus - Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus - Washington, DC - Thursday through Sunday
|At this point, I'm not sure whether to write about geeks |
as explorers or explore the role of women in geek cultures.
Image by ryanrocketship
- Video Game Culture - The Art of Video Games - Washington, DC - starting Friday
- Right. It's the Smithsonian. It's the Smithsonian saying that video games are a legitimate part of culture. That's practically governmental endorsement of the gaming lifestyle right there! The exhibit is opening this week (and we might even have a preview up before it opens) and is running through September.
- Video Game Culture - GameFest! - Washington, DC - Friday through Sunday
- The Smithsonian gets even more into the spirit of things during the first weekend of the above exhibit. The schedule isn't as packed as most cons we're used to going to, but the talent is top notch, the panels and concerts look great and its hard to beat the venue (I want to have the whole Mall to run an event, you have no idea how badly I want that...)
|Pi: Not as creepy as the movie made it out to be.|
Image by Mykl Roventine
- Math! - Pi Day - Universal Constant - All Day
- Oh, sure, the Golden Ratio gets all the sexy press, the photo shoots, the built-in Photoshop editing templates, but I'm a traditionalist. Give me my perfect circles and my delicious confectionery and just let that unchanging constant soak in to my mind as the sugar hits my blood.
- Human Relations - Steak & BJ Day - Not a Universal Constant - How adventurous are you feeling?
- Yes, well, its very popular with some of the populace, popular with reservations by others, and, well, you know what? You're adults (my gods, I hope you're adults), so I'll let you figure this one out from citations already made.
- Science - The Science of Sleep - Washington, DC - 6:30 PM
- This one is retro for me simply because of my lifelong interest in things like sleep, grief, ecstasy and other things that make the human mind tick. With a pair of presenters like the NIS has gotten for this one, it'll be worth the trip over to the campus.
Other weekly reoccurring events are listed on our website (such as Rocky, CCG tournaments, crazy themed happy hours). For more information, check out the calendars at DC Geeks.