A showcase of this week's finest geek and geek related activities for the week. Mark your calendars.
- Starcraft 2 - Barcraft MLG Spring Arena - Washington, DC - Saturday and Sunday
- Its alcohol and gaming, a combination that always appeals to the red blooded... geek. This is our sports bar event though - violence hyped space marines getting ripped apart by genetically engineered killing machines. I never realized how intense watching Starcraft could be till I did it with a crowd who had skin in the games.
|If this is the sort of thing you'd put in your basement,|
Barcraft is probably for you. (via Glenn Batuyong)
- Space! - Space Shuttle Discovery - over Washington, DC - 10:00 to 11:00 AM
- This one is in a narrow time frame, but for those of us who grew up during the 80s and 90s it’s not something we can miss: the Discovery’s last flight (albeit atop a transport jet). Weather allowing the flight plans call for intentional flybys of the DC area monuments and public spaces. Check the site for specifics.
- BLUE - Blue Man Group - Washington, DC - 7:30 PM
- No, you do not get to join if you show up in blue bodypaint. Please. Don’t show up just in blue body paint. Honestly I’ve always seen them as the next step in the evolution of the family that claims mimes in their distant ancestry, but don’t let that scare you off. The Men are funny, talented, surprising, and the perfect evening out with friends.
|Tip for trying new events: don't just show up with one of|
these, screaming FUS RO DAH! (via Søren Niedziella)
- “S” Words - Montgomery County Freifechter - Germantown, MD - 6:00 PM
- The event is longsword training. How awesome is that?! Given that this is probably a lot of sword-wielding awesomeness, it might be best not to show up unannounced. I included it on this week’s “in Geek” because I think the group definitely deserves a look. Introduce yourself on the meetup and ask around about joining up. Because odds are this is cooler than what you were going to do this Thursday.
- Art - Japanese Art at the Workhouse - Lorton, VA - 11:30 AM
- I promise you that we won’t have too many more Cherry Blossom events on this site. Not till next year, at least. This one calls for you to head down to the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton (a pretty nifty place for art geeks, anyway). For our fans of Japanese art and traditional culture, this is a day you really can’t miss. Traditional flower arranging, lectures on art styles, glazing style demonstrations, fabric arts, cuisine and film will all be on the menu.
- Burlesque - Valentine Candy Burlesque Present: Something's Fishy - Washington, DC - 8:30 PM
- Under the sea burlesque? I mean, how many of you have fantasized about
UrsulaAriel? I mean, come on! Look at those tentacles seashellsamazing songs and stuff! Looks to be a good burlesque show. Two shows in a row, second one is at 10:30.
- Redditicilous - Board Games at a Bar - Washington, DC - 2:00 PM
- To quote the illustrious Philip J. Fry, “Not sure if I think these are awesome because I’m a Redditor, or if Redditors just throw the best meetups.” It’s at the Mighty Pint and the picture shows beer and Candy Land. That pretty much sums up the best idea ever in my opinion.
- D&D - Keep on the Borderlands at Labyrinth - Washington, DC - 12:00 PM
- At the time of this writing, there are six slots remaining for this game. It's the newer version of the adventure - all the death, half the roleplay (Why don't I tell you what I really think about 4th ed sometime)... BUT it's a great way to dip a toe in and see if the 4th ed. play style is for you.
|The most organized series of tabletop games|
I've ever seen. (via Benny Mazur)