|Its like a fair, but more Science and less funnel cake.|
Image by NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Science! - USA Science and Engineering Festival - Washington, DC - April 28 - April 29
- Question: Where can you see Bill Nye, cast members of Big Bang Theory, and the stars of Mythbusters all at the same time? Yeah, that's right, here. This is the second year for the festival and already its grown from beefy to huge. More than 3000 exhibits and over 100 stage shows will fill the two day program. The event is meant to appeal to all levels of involvement in science and engineering, as well as all ages. Putting on my geek father hat for a moment though - there's a massive book fair this year and a career pavilion for high schoolers with an interest in STEM subjects. And its free.
- Convention - Malice Domestic - Bethesda, MD - April 27 - April 29
- A change of pace for the DCG writers, but definitely one worth getting out to, Malice Domestic is a full three days dedicated to the classic mystery. Its a chance to get close to a list of award nominated authors longer than my leg, but beyond that the workshop and panel schedule is simply mouth watering for anyone with desires to get published. From discussions on methods of death to the realities of research to specific genre panels, this con just keeps growing in depth every year. And this is year 24, so I'm not just giving faint praise here.
- Film - Indie Game: The Movie - Washington, DC - 6:30 PM
- In the wider culture the deadly words are "Dude, we should open a bar!" Not quite the same for many a geek, but we have our own Achilles heel: "I could make a game that would completely wreck what we're playing right now." Well, have a look at what the industry, the market, and the obsession is like these days. This is a documentary, so think less mockery and more deep examination of our passions. Tickets available at the E Street Cinema.
|You haven't lived till you've seen... you know what? |
Never mind. Make your own erotic dancing cyberman joke.
Image by Ben Sutherland
- Entertainment - Swami YoMahmi presents: Doctor Who Burlesque - Washington, DC - 8:30 PM & 10:30 PM
- Alright, The Red Palace shows up here often enough that if you have even a single social impulse in your crackling neurochemistry you really need to go. This week you've really got no excuse. Music, dance, erotic stage show, and burlesque, all with a Dr. Who theme and basis. Wrap up in your scarf (bonus if its more than 14' long) and head out for the night.
- Convention - Eastern Shore FanCon - Princess Anne, MD - 10:00 AM
- There's nothing quite like a young, one day con. The eagerness of the con staff, the hope of new ideas (or old ones done well), the discovery of a new venue, it's like finding a vestal virgin just hanging around a stone altar. This con is a heavily focused on illustration arts and fandoms, which makes a nice switch from the often rigid line between anime and comic conventions. $10 is a hard price to beat for a full day of dedicated entertainment.