A showcase of this week's finest geek and geek related activities for the week. Mark your calendars.
|Great view of Artomatic (via Elvert Barnes)|
- Art! - Artomatic - Crystal City, VA - May 18 through June 23
- A ten story building slated for demolition. A one month time limit. More than a thousand artists. Free admission to the public. Music, film, visual art, fashion, performance art (never, ever call it non-consensual LARPing - it upsets the artist), and more are filling up the whole space for a month. And with the constantly shifting line up it's one of those events you go to over and over again.
- Beer - American Craft Beer Week - All Over - May 16 through May 22
- A lot tastings, a lot of keg tappings, a lot of fund raisers, and meet the brewers kind of events. For some reason the geek community seems to have a strong showing of beer geeks as well as the more general types of geekery. So go forth and get your tastes teased.
- Industry Event - Nebula Awards Weekend - Crystal City, VA - May 17 to May 20
- Odd that we rarely hear much about this event. Its a major industry event in an industry that is relevant to almost all of our interests. There are still some registration slots left for non-members of the industry group. Workshops cover everything from Icelandic Myths to giving TV interviews to improving your online professional presence. Its great stuff for the aspiring writer.
|This image is faster than writing a thousand|
words about Fiesta Asia (via Angela N.)
- Festival - Fiesta Asia Street Fair - Washington, DC - 10:00 AM through 7:00 PM
- A free street fair sponsored by the Asia Heritage Foundation, we’re talking live music acts from Korea, Taiwan, and the Philippines, food, martial arts, non-martial arts, and what looks to my suspiciously like prep for a dancing flash mob.
- Parade - 2012 Cosplay Parade - Washington, DC - starts 10:00 AM
- Using the Fiesta Asia Street Fair as a launching point, the DC Anime Club is holding their 2012 Cosplay parade the same day, starting from the Fair. Show up as whoever you want (just be sure to label so folks can tell who you’re playing and where the costume inspiration is from). The parade itself is starting around 2:00 PM, so there’s plenty of time to relax and have fun beforehand.
- Art! - Super Art Fest - Baltimore, MD - Noon to Midnight
- Put together by the folks who hold the Super Art Fights, and put on as a fund raiser for the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults, this is going to be a packed day. Twelve hours of head to head, chair beating art wrestling. Art Fight hopefuls clawing their way across each others bent and broken souls. Adam WarRock. What more do you heartless bastards want?
Did we miss something? If you have an event you’d like to promote that isn’t on this list, leave a comment or email us. Other weekly reoccurring events are listed on our website (such as Rocky, CCG tournaments, crazy themed happy hours). For more information, check out the calendars at DC Geeks.