A showcase of this week's finest geek and geek related activities for the week. Mark your calendars.
|Thanks to the New York Marine Corps for making this image Creative Commons.|
Happy Memorial Day! Thanks to all those who are serving or who have served.
- Theater - Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play - Washington, DC - May 28 through July 1
- Its comedy! Its theater! Its social commentary! Its a post-apocalyptic retro style retelling of the Simpsons around the dying fire of human civilization! The folks up at Wooly Mammoth are at it again, and honestly, this sounds like it could well be the summer counterpart to this winter’s The Elephant Room. I wonder if they’ll have audience participation sessions.
- Terrifying Social Opportunity - Epic Comedy Open Mic - Fairfax, VA - 8:00 PM
- You know the Soundry folks. You love the Soundry folks. (And if you don’t, why not? You need to get out more.) Well, take the rare talents of the Soundry, add in the unusual tastiness of the Epicure Cafe, and toss in a mic to get the epic Comedy Open Mic. I know a lot of you think you’re funny. And a lot of you actually are funny. Well, take the plunge and share that wonderful snark or that frothing, sputtering rage with your fellow geeks.
- Literature - Georgetown Library Graphic Novel Bookclub - Washington, DC - 6:30 PM
- The group has been working through The Sandman. Comics like Sandman make me believe that there should be massive, Norton-style anthologies of graphic novels (maybe like this). This time around the discussion will focus on The Wake and Endless Nights. Catch back up and head in to chew over the end of the long story with your fellow geeks.
- Creativity - Come Write With Us! - Washington, DC - 7:00 PM
- So many of us love to write, we want to create, but do you know what we lack? Peers willing to read what we’ve written and ask “What the hell happened in chapter three?” And we need that. We really, really need that. The Washington Creative Writers’ Club is set up to deal with issues just like that. From peer sharing to reality checks, inspiration and ideas to avoid, a good writers’ group is beyond value to the working author.
|If he's like most of the writers I know, that mason jar is full|
of vodka. (via Eduardo)
- CCG - Magic: The Gathering League Second Draft - Dulles, VA - 8:00 P
- Five spots are still open for this competitive league, so you’d better get out there. It may sound odd, but it doesn’t really matter to me if its a Magic player, a Warhammer fanatic, or a Yu-Gi-Oh kid writ large, there’s something about the passion and dedication it takes to compete in these styles of games. I just love watching them. Are there spectator spots open?
Did we miss something? If you have an event you’d like to promote that isn’t on this list, leave a comment or email us. Other weekly reoccurring events are listed on our website (such as Rocky, CCG tournaments, crazy themed happy hours). For more information, check out the calendars at DC Geeks.