A showcase of this week's finest geek and geek related activities for the week. Mark your calendars.
- Anime - The Masters of Studio Ghibli - Silver Spring, MD - Friday through Sunday
- This week wraps up the Studio Ghibli event at AFI Silver Theater. The last film showing is Howl’s Moving Castle, which is as stunningly beautiful as it is well written, definitely one of my personal favorites. Showtimes are Friday at 7:00PM, Saturday at 1:15PM, and Sunday at 11:00AM.
- Movies - Princess Bride at AFI Silver - Silver Spring, MD - Friday through Sunday
- If anime really isn’t your thing, check out the other awesomeness from the AFI Silver theater, a chance to see The Princess Bride on the big screen. In celebration of the 25th anniversary, they’re having four showings. Friday at 9:30 PM, Saturday at 11:10 AM and 9:30PM, and Sunday at 1:20PM.
|MEAT! (via Southern Foodways Alliance)|
- Food - Beer, Bourbon, and BBQ - National Harbor, MD - Friday and Saturday
- Yes, we’re geeks. But we’re geeks around DC and that means that our tastes can run to the... earthy. Not to mention bringing to the table the obsessiveness that defines many a geek. So what have we got in one of our most used con venues of the last few years? A weekend dedicated to three of life’s great pleasures. Having done a bit of research on this event, I think my heart just stopped and I can hear my liver weeping softly to itself. Dozens of beers and dozens of bourbons, multiple pit masters, a BACON TASTING... what more do you people want from me?
- Burlesque - And I Am Not Lying at Black Cat - Washington, DC - 8:00PM
- Check out the above link for a video trailer for the event. Cover is $12, and beyond that the event looks so cool, I’m going to let the official description speak for itself: A Night of Storytelling, Comedy, & Burlesque featuring storytellers from The Moth and This American Life.
- Peri-Peri - Peri-Peri - Silver Spring, MD - 7:00PM
- Remember the awesome Princess Bride showing that I mentioned earlier? Well, here’s the chance to combine that with possibly the best chicken you’ve ever had. My love of Peri-Peri is well known, and so it’s nice to see the lovely gents of Geek Night Out acknowledging its greatness. There are two separate meetups, one for the dinner before and one for the Princess Bride showing, so make sure to RSVP to the right one.
- Anime - New Member Social for Baltimore Sci-Fi Society - Baltimore, MD - 2:00PM
- The Meetup description promises snacks, new anime, manga, and possibly even the magic of friendship? I know Baltimore is a bit out of our usual metro area, but the group sounds so nice, I had to put in the plug. Maryland...ians? Marylanders? (What do y’all call yourself up there?) anyway, Maryland-people, check it out.
|The Singularity may not be televised, but you|
can bet it'll be cosplayed. (via Popculture Geek)
- Tabletop Gaming - Eclipse Phase One Shot - Washington, DC - 1:00PM
- Remember the awesome post/trans-humanist game we were chatting with Julia about on the podcast a while back? Well, here’s your chance to live past the Singularity. Labyrinth Games has a few slots open for this one shot.
- Dads - Father's Day - All day Sunday
- I had a reminder up for Mother's Day, so it's only fair I include one for Father's Day as well. And for gods' sakes, get him something better than another tie, like at least a gift certificate. I assume mugs are just as bad, you know, unless they have whiskey and gift certificates in them.